Translate

Saturday, January 04, 2020

Fly tying

Unless you happen to be in the Gulf of Mexico or warmer climates at this time of year, you might start thinking about trout fishing around now. Even though the ice will only be coming off your favourite water in a few more months if you're like me you want to get busy tying flies. On and off over the last 20-25 years, I've pulled out my vice and fly tying kit and attempted to tie (or is that tye, or even try to tie) some of the flies that myself and others have found successful over time. More than not, they end up somewhat like an anchor chord wrapped around the anchor, or a fly line around your motor prop.




However, after watching one of the clubs more 'successful' fisherman wrap thread around a hook last spring,
and then seeing a younger and less experienced angler mimic him quite expeditiously, I decided to take a hook and coloured thread to create a rather convincing wooly bugger. Although the cheering around the table was polite, I realized that following the end of summer and fall, this winter was going to be the time I mastered a few simple techniques to fly tying.



SO, here it is. January 4th, lot's of new fly's and material on my newly created fly tying bench and I've ready to create the fly of 2020!!

I must admit I've watched many fly tiers over the years, and everyone has their own favourite methods of tying. My suggestion as with everything, find what your are comfortable with and stick with it until a reasonable fly can be created. Then start to improve and perfect.






If you're a new fly tier or have Q's about where to start, what to buy first, most of this is answered on the page here by Scott Cesar. It has been my most helpful to date.  https://www.scottcesariflytying.com/

 It doesn't take a lot of small tips, and sometimes following along on social media (as I've done) can be helpful. Along with some simplistic videos, you'll enjoy fly tying a lot more, and improve greatly.





Send along your creations we'll put them up here. Here's some of my recent 'Buggers'!

See you on the lake!

No comments: